Soul Passed on 19/09/2014
About Uppalapu Srinivas
• He was born in Palakol of Andhra Pradesh on 28 February 1969 and was the son of clarinet player Sathyanarayana.
• He was declared as the musician of the Tamil Nadu government at the age of 15 by late Chief Minister MG Ramachandran in 1984.
• As a musician he won several accolades that included Padma Shri (1998) and the Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (2010).
• He was also the recipient of the prestigious Sangeeta Ratna award.
• He was known for adapting the difficult western instrument to the Carnatic stage.
• His familiarity with cross over genres rendered a platform for merging his music with other traditional musical arts.
• He released Samjanitha in 2008 that featured Debashish Bhattacharya, John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain, Sivamani, Vikku Vinaykram, Dominique Piazza George Brook, U Rajesh, Anil Srinivasan and others.
• He also recorded CD of Carnatic composition by Ilaiyataaja called Ilaiyaraaja’s Classics in Mandolin.
• In his career as a mandolin musician, he also performed along with several international artists like Michael Brook, John McLaughlin, Trey Gunn and Nigel Kenne
Music Maestro Mandolin player Uppalapu Srinivas died on 19 September 2014 in Chennai. He died following a failed liver transplant at the age of 45. He is now survived by his father, mother, a sister and brother Rajesh, who is also a mandolin player.
He started performing at the early age of nine and as a child prodigy of Mandolin was a phenomenal player. He was known for fusing western instrument Mandolin with Carnatic music so as to render gamaka form of the music.
I am Fan of Mandolin
Catch me on my social Network at
[button link=”https://www.facebook.com/mathew.jibi” color=”silver” newwindow=”yes”] I’m Social[/button]
Know why Mandolin memorable to Anil Kumar
Big fan of him….